Monday, December 15, 2014

A Little Holiday Cheer

In 2014 I resolved to improve my overall quilting skills.  Nothing does that better than making things and things I did make!  All in all, I completed eleven quilted projects in eleven months. To list them off: one table runner, one sewing machine cover, two baby quilts, three regular sized lap quilts, one over sized lap quilt, one queen sized t shirt quilt, one twin sized quilt and one almost queen sized quilt.  I have to say working on these projects really did improve my quilt making skills.

On Sunday I finished quilting our guild's collaborative quilt that will go to Quiltcon for the Charity quilt display.  No photos to show. You'll have to go to Quiltcon 2014 to see it!  :-)  The quilt measures 65" by 70" and the quilting design was simple (phew!).  To be honest, I was very relieved to have finished my role in our collaborative quilt.  I think I may have hit, 'big project burnout'.

To reward myself for all my hard work (and to have something handmade to give at my workplace Christmas party this Thursday), I set out to make something start to finish in one day. I finished this mug rug in about four hours, start to finish.  The design is from Amanda Jean Nyberg of Crazy Mom Quilts.  She posted the tree blocks on her blog about a week ago and I knew they would be perfect for a mug rug.  The red is Kona Crimson which I bought a few weeks ago from the remnant bin at my local big, box fabric shop.....score!  I have to say it was very satisfying to make something start to finish in one day.  It truly was a reward!

So what's up for 2015?!?  Well, I do have some goals (that's just the way I am)......  First up is to finish up my version of the Missing U quilt from the book Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkinson.  Also, over the course of 2015 I want to expand my repertoire of piecing skills.  I am thinking of making some pillows using the tutorials and patterns I have saved up. Most of them have at least one technique I have procrastinated learning. Time to start broadening what I can do!

The other idea rambling in my head to make two (yes I said two!) low volume quilts.  I've been saving up fabrics for almost the past year and I'd like to make one for my daughter's guest room bed (queen) and one for me (large lap quilt?)!  Then......I started Tula Pink's 100 Modern Quilt Blocks in January and never finished them........and then........

So you get the idea......the quilts/ideas never end!  :-)

I hope you all have a wonderful Holiday season!  May all you do and make bring joy to those you love and to you!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely mug rug, Ruthann Grace! I love Amanda Jean's style and your little tree turned out perfect! Nice choice with that cute green binding. I enjoyed reading about your goals for the coming new year. Looking forward to seeing what you do in 2015! PS. I sure appreciated your visit to my blog this morning. And wanted to let you know: You are a no reply blogger. Check this out... http://www.venustrappedinmars.com/2013/06/google-ultimate-no-reply-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete