Monday, September 1, 2014

Best Quilt I Ever Made

Over the time I have been quilting I've made about 25 quilts.  Considering I've been quilting since the late 90's that's not that many.  Of those quilts, 11 of them have been made since July of 2013.  A year ago I decided I really wanted to get good at quilting and the only way to do that is to quilt......a lot!  I do have to say the quality of my work has improved over the past year.  This being said the quilt that will now stand out as the best quilt I have ever made and probably will ever make is the one in this post.  It was made two years ago for my grand daughter's crib.  There was a time where I thought there were tons of thing I'd change if I were to make this quilt again and then recently I learned there is nothing I would change for it is the best quilt I ever made.

Over the past week our grandchildren were with us for the week.  Whew, what a whirl wind.  I had forgotten how busy two children under the age of 5 can keep a person.  Every moment of the day is filled.  It was the end of day two and we had had a busy, busy day.  All morning out in the woods hiking.  Throwing rocks in the Lake.  A trip to an ice cream shop after dinner.  Baths to wash off all the after dinner stickiness.  You get the idea.  We were busy!

 After their baths I was helping my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter put on her pajama pants and she pointed down to her crib quilt which she had brought from home and asked, 'did you make my quilt grandma?'.  I absent mindedly replied, 'yep, I did' as I concentrated on getting her foot through the right leg hole.  Then I felt her little hands on my shoulders and her lean up to my ear.  "Thank you grandma", she whispered.  I can honestly say my heart stopped with love for just a moment.  

So you see, the quilt in this post, no matter what other quilts I have made since or will ever make, will always be the best quilt I ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment