Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tilting Log Cabins

I am a big fan of Mad Tesla and the work he does with Kona Solids.  His eye for color and his improv block construction is clean and clear.  At present he has a quilt in progress called Off Centre that has improv blocks in a variety of colors which are then pieced so they tilt at various angles and places within the quilt top.  If you have a chance, go over to his blog (www.madtesla.com) and take a look at his quilt in progress.   His quilt is going to be awesome when completed.

With Mad Tesla's inspiration in mind and guidance from Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking II, I decided to make a long delayed cover for my Juki sewing machine.   I had a pattern from Modern Quilting Unlimited where I liked the clean lines of the machine cover but not the blocks that made up the front and back.  So I decided to replace the suggested blocks in the pattern with some tilting log cabin blocks inspired by the blocks in Mad Tesla's Off Centre quilt (but not the same...his blocks were far more complex than I had imagined) and using Gwen Marston's 'liberating' techniques for traditional quilt blocks.


The 'spine' of the machine cover was supposed to be strips of color.  Instead, I decided it would be fun to make some single tilted blocks of color 'tumbling'  across and down the machine.   You can't really see them in the photo but they were fun to play with and I could see myself using this technique with a full quilt somewhere down the road.

I quilted the cover with my Juki using the walking foot and a guide bar taped to the side of the foot to set the 1/2 inch quilting lines.  The thread I used was Aurifil Dolphin grey, which I have come to realize blends with nearly any color.

My sewing room is all off white so the splash of color is a nice addition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment